Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 138,848 pages of information and 225,307 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Note: This is a sub-section of Edward Bury and Co
It had four-coupled wheels of 4ft. 6in. diameter, and a pair of 9in. by 18in. cylinders placed inside the frames under the smokebox, arranged so that the piston-rods inclined upwards towards the crossheads from below the leading axle.
The dimensions were as follows: boiler barrel, length, 6ft. 9in.; diameter, 3ft.; length of dome casing, 4ft.; length of fire-box casing, 3ft. 6in.; wheel base, 5ft. ; length of frame over all, 15ft. 5in.; height of frame from rails, 3ft.; height of centre of boiler from rails, 4ft. 8in.
The Liverpool embodied all the features of what were afterwards known generically as "Bury engines," especially the bar frame, domed fire-box, inside cylinders, and four wheels on a comparatively short wheel base.
The Liverpool was bought by an American and was at work on the Petersburg road in May 1831.
"The Liverpool was certainly in many respects a remarkable engine for the period when it was constructed. The four-couple wheels had the large diameter of 6ft. and it was a good many years later before any other locomotives with wheels as large as this were constructed. As shown in the images, it was embodied with the well-known bar framing. The cylinders, 12in. by 18in, were inclined slightly upwards to allow the piston roads to pass underneath the leading axle. The images shown on the left are photographs of an original drawing made by Edward Bury himself.
What became of the Liverpool is not known. In Whishaw's "Railways" of 1840 a list is given of the locomotives of the Bolton and Leigh Railway, as the line to Kenyon Junction was called, and no locomotive with tho name Liverpool or with 6ft. wheels was mentioned..." From a Short Histories of Famous Firms - Edward Bury and Co by Ernest Leopold Ahrons The Engineer 1923/02/02 - Read More