Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 133,384 pages of information and 211,458 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Edward Beresford Hearne (1854-1896)
1896 Obituary 
EDWARD BERESFORD HEARNE, M.E., only son of the late Rev. Frederick Hearne, M.A., Rector of Groomsport, Co. Down, was born at Malin, Co. Donegal, on the 13th of October, 1854.
He was educated at Trinity College, Dublin, where he graduated in Arts and Engineering in 1876.
In 1888 he took the degree of Master of Engineering.
After serving an apprenticeship to Mr. James Price, Chief Engineer of the Midland Great Western Railway of Ireland, he was engaged on parliamentary and other surveys.
In 1880 he acted as an Assistant Engineer, under the Board of Public Works of Ireland, on relief works in Co. Galway, after which he was for five months contractors’ engineer on the Linavady and Dungiven Railway.
Mr. Hearne’s next post was that of Assistant to the Borough Surveyor of Newry for four years, during which period he acted as Resident Engineer on the Armagh Waterworks, the Dungannon Sewerage Works and district sewers in Newry, and assisted in the construction of the Bessbrook and Newry Electric Tramway.
From March, 1885, to January, 1888, he was again in the service of the Board of Public Works as Resident Engineer on Carlingford Pier and Harbour, Co. Louth, and on Annalong Harbour, Co. Down.
Early in 1888 Nr. Hearne was engaged under Mr. J. C. Bretland in designing various sections of the Belfast Main Drainage, and in August of that year he was appointed Resident Engineer on those works upon which he remained until their completion at the end of 1895, when his engagement with the Corporation terminated.
Mr. Hearne’s promising career was prematurely cut short by the rupture of a blood-vessel on the brain, which caused death, after a few hours’ illness, on the 23rd of April, 1896. He had endeared himself to all who worked with him by his kind and courteous manner and his unselfish character.
He was elected an Associate Member on the 7th of April, 1891.