Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,100 pages of information and 233,633 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
of 1 South Charlotte Street, Edinburgh
1884 Company formed by Dick, Kerr and Co
1894 The company was registered on March 6th and had acquired from the Edinburgh Corporation leases (expiring in 1919) of about 23.75 miles of tramway, including 3 miles of original cable tramway (presumably that of Edinburgh Northern Cable Tramway Co); the remainder, with the exception of a small portion (now in course of conversion) has been changed from horse to cable traction. 
1899 Official inspection took place of the first completed section of the Edinburgh Cable Tramway system - the 8.5 mile section from the city boundary at Pilrig-street, Leith-walk to the suburban terminus near the Braid Hills. The Edinburgh and District Tramway Company were the lessees for the cable as well as horse tramways in the city.