Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,385 pages of information and 233,851 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Otherwise known as the Eastern Extension Company or the Eastern Extension Telegraph Company
1873 Company incorporated amalgamating the China Submarine Telegraph Co, the North of Europe Telegraph Co and other companies; the new company would take over the Tasmanian Telegraph cable; other companies which were part of the new company were British Indian Extension Telegraph Co and British Australian Telegraph Co
1873 A second cable was laid across the Bay of Biscay, from Porthcurno to Vigo and Carcavelos. These two cables carried traffic from the Eastern Extension and Brazilian Submarine Telegraph Companies and lasted many years.
1884 The Telegraph Construction and Maintenance Co manufactured cable for the Eastern Telegraph and Eastern Extension Companies which was laid to connect all the islands of the Grecian Archipelago and in trans-Indian waters. During the year a new ship, the Magneta, was added to the cable fleet of the Eastern Extension Company.
1897 The Spanish Government would subsidise the Eastern Extension Telegraph Company to connect its system to Iloilo, by laying three short cables between Luzon, Pannay, Negros, and Cebu. Extensions of the system had been in the Philippine Islands and in Netherlands Indian territory. There had been duplexing and triplicating of existing cables as well as widening of the area covered by the company.
1901 Contracted with Telegraph Construction and Maintenance Co for the all-British trans-Pacific cable. The company was aware of the developments by Marconi in wireless transmissions but did not consider them a threat to the company's business
1913 Laid a cable from Colombo to Penang; the Eastern Company would lay a cable from Aden to Colombo to connect with it
1928 The communications methods of the British Empire were merged into one operating company because of increasing competition for cable telegraph companies from companies using radio communications. The British Government formed the Imperial and International Communications Ltd to carry out these operations, which incorporated the Eastern Extension Co amongst others.