Grace's Guide To British Industrial History

Registered UK Charity (No. 115342)

Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 163,138 pages of information and 245,599 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.

Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 147,919 pages of information and 233,587 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.

Dunston Power Station

From Graces Guide
Dunston Power Station on the south bank of the Tyne, depicted on a remarkable 42 ft long model of Tyneside, made in 1929, on display at the Discovery Museum, Newcastle. Part of the Elswick Works of Armstrong Whitworth can be seen on the north bank

1908 The Newcastle-upon-Tyne Electric Supply Co had acquired land at Dunston, opposite the Elswick works on the north bank, on which it would build a power station that would supply 30,000 hp to the County of Durham Electrical Power Distribution Co and other purposes, as well as supply areas around the higher part of the river and the rest of the County of Durham.[1]

1910 The Newcastle-upon-Tyne Electric Supply Co opened Dunston Power Station to supply the area south of the River Tyne.

1911 A series of articles was published in The Engineer about the power station. Read them using the links below;

1930 Description of equipment to be installed at Dunston 'B'. Six 50,000-kw. sets planned, but only three sets to be installed initially. Orders had been placed with C. A. Parsons and Co for the turbine-generators, having one high-pressure and one low-pressure. Initial steam conditions 600 psi, 800 deg. F. respectively. After leaving the high-pressure turbine the steam would be re-heated to 825 deg. F. Condensers Richardsons, Westgarth and Co of Hartlepool. Alternators to generate at 13.5 kV, stepped up to 66,000 kV for transmission. The main switchgear by A. Reyrolle and Co. Boilers by Clarke, Chapman and Co and Babcock and Wilcox. Pulverised fuel.[2]

1933 Dunston 'B' station opened


See Also

Loading...

Sources of Information

  1. The Times Apr. 8, 1908
  2. Engineering 1930/10/31