Doulton and Watts
From Graces Guide
Doulton and Watts, potters, earthenware makers, of 28 High St, Lambeth
1815 John Doulton (1793–1873) became a partner in the pottery of Martha Jones in Vauxhall Walk, London, together with John Watts. The business became Jones, Watts and Doulton. It specialised in making stoneware articles, such as decorative bottles and salt glaze sewer pipes
1820 Mrs Jones withdrew from the business
1826 Doulton and Watts flourished, moving in 1826 to premises in Lambeth High Street.
1834 Doulton and Watts establishment at High St, Lambeth involved 12 men working 2 kilns per week
Eventually 6 of John's sons joined the business including John junior (the eldest) and Henry who became an apprentice in 1835. Henry was to be the driving force behind a number of innovations which made the name of Doulton world famous.
1841 Doulton and Watts, brown stone potters and chemical apparatus manufacturers, 28 High St, Lambeth.
1846 Henry Doulton left home to start his own business to make ceramic pipes for the sanitary market. In addition Henry continued to help his father's firm of Doulton and Watts, and both concerns gradually expanded onto adjoining land and premises.
1852 28 High St, Lambeth: Doulton and Watts, stone potters, water filter, chemical apparatus and water closet makers; and John Doulton, junior, earthenware manufacture, which was also at Liverpool Pottery, St Helens, Lancs.
1853 John Watts retired.
1853 Doulton and Co was established by John and his son Henry as makers of fine English stoneware.
1855 Partnership dissolved: Doulton and Watts, potters, High St, Lambeth.
1862 Doulton and Watts demonstrated a potter's wheel at the International Exhibition.
1862 Frederick Doulton M.P., was recorded as being of Messrs Doulton and Watts.
1872 Complaints, including from the Archbishop of Canterbury, about black smoke from the Lambeth Potteries of Doulton and Watts resulted in a fine.
1873 John Doulton senior died.
1876 Doulton and Watts received an award at the Philadelphia Exhibition for a mantelpiece.
1885 June: Fire at the Albert Embankment premises of Doulton and Watts (28 High St. Lambeth).
1885 August: Another fire at the substantial premises of Doulton and Watts.
1888 Another fire at Doulton and Watts.
1889 The Lambeth establishment employed c.2000 people and there were another 2000 employees in other parts of the Doulton empire; drains works were also at St Helens and Rowley Regis
1891 Doulton and Watts, encaustic tile makers, filter makers and crucible makers, 28 High St, Lambeth. Doulton and Co, Albert Embankment. 
1891 Henry Lewis Doulton became a partner.
1895 Doulton and Watts, Lambeth Pottery, London SE, manufacturers of Doulton ware, etc. Showroom at Albert Embankment. City showroom at Holborn Circus. Encaustic tile manufacturers, 24 High St, Lambeth. Doulton and Co (Lambeth Sanitary Engineering works) and makers of carbon filters, 24 High St, Lambeth.
1897 Henry Doulton retired in summer 1897, and died in November.
1898 Doulton and Co: offer of public shares in the company incorporated to acquire a company of the same name. The growth of the company and the withdrawal of Sir Henry's capital had made this step necessary. The company was incorporated on 1 January 1899; Henry Lewis, was chairman and managing director, and the other directors were Ronald Duncan Doulton (Henry's nephew), Benjamin Hannen, a builder, and William Turnbull, a partner in a firm of china merchants.
Sources of Information
- The Times, 5 June 1965
- Birmingham Daily Post, 5 November 1889
- Post Office London Directory, 1841
- The Morning Post 24 June 1851
- Post Office London Directory, 1852
- The Bradford Observer 18 January 1855
- The Times, 27 March 1862
- The Times, 28 June 1862
- The Times, 15 August 1872
- The Standard 27 August 1873
- The Times, 11 October 1876
- The Times, 23 June 1885
- The Times, 1 August 1885
- Reynolds's Newspaper 16 December 1888
- Birmingham Daily Post, 5 November 1889
- Post Office London Trades Directory, 1891
- Post Office London Directory, 1895
- The Times, 3 December 1898