Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 125,727 pages of information and 196,442 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
of Westage and The Close, Newcastle
of Saltmeadows, Gateshead
of Bill Quay, Felling, Co Durham
c.1770 A soapery was set up by Messrs. Lamb and Waldie at the Westgate
1775 The works were purchased by Mr. Thomas Doubleday
Continued as Doubleday and Easterby
1790 Moved to The Close in Newcastle.
1808 Moved to a new site south of the river
1808 Messrs. Doubleday and Easterby started making sulphate of soda by decomposing the waste salts from the soap-boilers, which consisted chiefly of common salt, and some sulphate of soda. Their chief supply of raw material was from Messrs. Jamieson and other soap-boilers at Leith.
Erected the first platina retort, for making rectified vitriol; soon they had three retorts in operation. The alkali which they made was used in the crude form in the manufacture of soap.
1841. Company closed
The Bill Quay site continued under Cook Brothers until the 1880s.
The Close site became a flour mill and was bombed in 1940.