Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 142,975 pages of information and 229,027 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Iron bridge spanning the Bridgewater Canal in Runcorn. Built c.1878 to replace an earlier bridge. Wrought iron plate was used for the arches, cast iron for the parapets, with red brick and sandstone abutments. The contract specification and drawings, to the design of Mr F. Griffith, were published in 'The Engineer' in 1877. An unusual feature is the use of riveted box section outer ribs.
In recent times the roadway has been raised at one end, and the bridge now has a tapered concrete deck. The abutment for the raised end has been rebuilt in engineering bricks, concrete, and sandstone.