Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 142,252 pages of information and 227,823 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
of Spring Gardens, Manchester.
1829 Founded as the Manchester and Liverpool District Banking Co by Joseph Macardy, a Manchester stockbroker, originally under the name District Union Banking Co but renamed Manchester & Liverpool District Banking Co before it started business; acquired the Stockport private bank of Christy, Lloyd and Co.
Branches were opened in Oldham, Liverpool and Hanley in 1830 and by late 1833 17 branches existed.
1844 Acquired Nantwich and South Cheshire Joint Stock Bank when it failed
1863 Acquired Loyd, Entwisle and Co of Manchester
1865 Acquired J., J. and G. Alcock of Burslem
By 1880, when the bank acquired limited liability status, it had 54 branches and sub-branches in Lancashire, Cheshire, Derbyshire, Shropshire, Staffordshire and Yorkshire.
1881 Acquired Southport and West Lancashire Banking Co.
1885 opened an office in London
1891 acquired William, John and Thomas Brocklehurst and Co of Macclesfield.
1907 Acquired Lancaster Banking Co
1916 Acquired Bank of Whitehaven
1924 Name shortened to the District Bank.
1935 the business amalgamated with County Bank, a Manchester-based bank with a network of 190 branches.
1936 it was admitted to the London Clearing House.
By the late 1930s a number of branches had been opened east of the Pennines, in the Midlands, southern England and Wales. This expansion of the network resumed after the Second World War.
1962 Acquired by the National Provincial Bank.
Continued to operate independently until 1968, by which time it had 570 branches.