Devon and Somerset Railway
The Devon and Somerset Railway ran from near Taunton to Barnstaple.
Opened in 1873 (Norton Fitzwarren to Wivlescombe 1871), the line was originally built to the broad gauge standards promoted by Isambard Kingdom Brunel but was converted to standard gauge in 1881.
The line had stations at Norton Fitzwarren, Milverton, Wivlescombe, Venn Cross, Morebath, Morebath Junction (to Tiverton), Dulverton, East Anstey, Yeo Mill, Bishops Nympton and Molland, South Molton, Filleigh, Swimbridge, and Barnstaple (Victoria Road).
The 43 mile (60 km) was built as a single track with three passing loops.
The D&SR was formally incorporated into the Great Western Railway in 1901, and closed in 1966, as a result of the Beeching Axe.
Sources of Information