Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,470 pages of information and 233,895 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Research and development in naval research establishments, and externally, to meet naval requirements were the responsibility of the third sea lord and controller of the Navy. Under him, supervision of research and development was carried out by an assistant controller research and development.
1920 A director of scientific research was first appointed; this position was head of the Scientific and Technical Services, responsible for scientific personnel and for formulating general policies with regard to research and development programmes. Under the assistant controller (R and D) he was responsible for co-ordination of all research and development work within the Admiralty and of this work with that of other organisations.
WWII One department of DSRE, called C.V.D., was responsible for the development of electronic valves for defence purposes. Dr. J. H. E. Griffiths was secretary of this department.
1946 Griffiths was succeeded by William James Picken until he retired from Admiralty service in April, 1953.
1946 The Department became the Royal Naval Scientific Service. The management of scientific research was reorganised with the establishment of four directorates within the Royal Naval Scientific Service.