Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 138,957 pages of information and 225,312 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Deepcar railway station, originally "Deep Car", is a disused railway station near Deepcar, South Yorkshire.
The station, situated on the line built by the Sheffield, Ashton-under-Lyne and Manchester Railway, opened on 14 July 1845. The station was located between Oughtibridge and Wortley and was intended to serve the village of Deepcar, near Sheffield, South Yorkshire.
The station was built with two flanking platforms, the main station building being on the Manchester-bound side with a waiting shelter on the other.
In the 1870s a short branch line was constructed to serve the Stocksbridge steel works of Samuel Fox and Company. This line ran from the west end of Deepcar station to a set of sidings, where traffic was exchanged with the Stocksbridge Railway. At the west end of the station, to the rear of the main line platform, there was a short bay from which passenger trains known as the Stocksbridge platform from where passenger trains to the village departed.
This service, which commenced in 1877, ceased in 1931.
The station closed to passenger traffic on 15 June 1959.
The line, albeit single track from Woodburn Junction, is still open to serve the steel works, now operated by the European division of Tata Steel—formerly known as Corus. Traffic to this location usually runs at night.