Grace's Guide

British Industrial History

Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 126,805 pages of information and 199,900 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.

Dee Railway Bridge

From Graces Guide

Jump to: navigation, search
Collapse of the bridge. Picture published in 1894.

Designed by Robert Stephenson

This bridge was one of his few failures, collapsing under a train. Stephenson was heavily criticized for the design, even before the collapse, particularly for the poor choice of materials and the unsatisfactory disposition of the wrought iron trusses.

As a result a royal commission was appointed to investigate the application of iron to railway structures.

See Also


Sources of Information