Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,116 pages of information and 233,660 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Water of Leith, Edinburgh
1881 The distillery was established on the site of a former corn mill and in the shadow of Thomas Telford's Dean Bridge by James Johnstone, proprietor of Gleniffer Distillery near Paisley.
1887 Scotch Whisky Distillers Limited was incorporated, a company registered in England, which acted as a consortium that included the Dean and Gleniffer distilleries, as well as Ben Wyvis (Dingwall) and Glen Nevis (Campbeltown). The venture was short-lived and the company went into liquidation in 1889, with the distilleries being put up for sale.
1893 With an apparent reversion of the distillery to its previous owner, James Johnstone Limited was incorporated. The company went into voluntary liquidation in 1902 and was dissolved in 1905. The premises were taken over by the Dean Distillery Company, which was incorporated as a limited liability company in 1908.
1922 The company went into liquidation and the distillery never re-opened. When Alfred Barnard visited, he recorded annual output as being about 73,000 gallons of malt whisky, thus comparable to Johnstone's other distillery at Gleniffer.