Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,538 pages of information and 233,963 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
De Havilland Engine Co of Watford, Herts
1944 Private company.
The de Havilland Engine Company was an offshoot of the De Havilland Aircraft Co aircraft building company, starting life as the 'Engine Division of the de Havilland Aircraft Company' in 1926 producing the famous de Havilland Gipsy aero-engine.
The company was officially formed at Stag Lane in February 1944 and later moved into a factory leased by the government in 1946 at Leavesden, which had earlier been a site for Handley Page Halifax production.
It went on to produce one of the early turbojet engines, the Goblin, which saw service in the early post-war de Havilland Vampire fighter. The later Ghost turbojet propelled early versions of the de Havilland Comet jetliner and the de Havilland Venom fighter.
The company later developed the Gnome turboshaft under licence from the General Electric T58 design
1957 Mr Hugh Buckingham was director, general manager and chief executive of the company.
c.1960 The company was absorbed into Bristol Siddeley Engines
1966 Bristol itself subsequently became part of Rolls-Royce
1961 Designers, manufacturers and dealers in aero and industrial engines.