De Grave, Short and Co
of 59 St Martin's-le-Grand; and 102 Naylor Road, London S. E. 15.(see scales)
From 1817 to 1844 the business was known as De Grave and Son, at 59 St Martin's-le-Grand.
From 1845 it was De Grave Short and Co, presumably involving Samuel Robinson Short
1851 De Grave, Short and Fanner exhibited at the Great Exhibition
1871 William Fanner died
1882 Listed. De Grave, Short and Co. scale, weight & measure makers to Her Majesty's standards department, board of trade, royal mint, general post office & the assay office, goldsmiths' hall, manufacturers of bullion, assay & chemical balances & weights (prize medals, 1851 & 186z), 59 St. Martin's-le-Grand EC'
1885 De Grave, Short and Co were awarded a prize at the Inventions Exhibition for improvements in balances
1889 Dissolution of the Partnership between Henry Munday Clark and William Christopher Fanner, carrying on business under the style or firm of De Grave, Short, and Co, at No. 59, St. Martin's-le-Grand, in the city of London, as Scale, Weight, and Measure Makers and Vendors
1920 The firm were tenants of a factory in Peckham
1922 The firm became part of Averys
1925 Averys acquired L. Oertling
1934 Albert William Harrington joined De Grave Short, Peckham, as a trainee in Small Beams
1935 Harrington moved to the Oertling section; fast progress to foreman in balance assembly.
c.1946 Harrington left Oertling; he was by then foreman in fine balance repairs at No. 23 Charterhouse Street, beneath the De Grave Short showroom. With Henry Morton Stanley he set up Stanton Instruments Ltd.
Sources of Information
- Science Museum website
- 1851 census
- 1882 Post Office Directory
- The Times, Aug 13, 1885
- London Gazette 3 May 1889
- The Times May 04, 1920