Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,100 pages of information and 233,633 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
D. and T. Stevenson, civil engineers, of Edinburgh
1838 A second son, David became a partner
1853 David Stevenson succeeded his brother Alan, who had been paralysed, as engineer to the Northern Lighthouse Board
With his brother Thomas, they designed and executed 30 lighthouses, two of which - on Dhuheartach and the Chicken Rocks - are regarded as triumphs of engineering skill.
1857 As engineers to the Commissioners of Northern Lighthouses, the Stevensons issued a specification for the temporary light on the Muckle Fluga Rock at the north end of island of Unst
1884 Thomas Stevenson became the board's sole engineer on his brother David's retirement through ill health; when Thomas's health began to fail in 1885 the younger David was appointed to act jointly with him.
1886 Charles was taken into partnership
1887 David A. Stevenson was sole engineer from Thomas's death in 1887 until 1938.
1890 the firm became D. and C. Stevenson
By 1922 was no longer in business