Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,159 pages of information and 233,681 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
David Charles Jones (1867-1894)
1894 Obituary 
DAVID CHARLES JONES, son of Mr. David Jones of The Green, Llanfyllin, North Wales, was born on the 4th of February, 1867.
On the expiration of that pupilage he remained with Mr. Owen as an assistant, being employed in preparing plans and estimates for station-yards, notably at Oswestry, the Great Western and Cambrian Junction; at Builth Wells; and at other places.
In 1886 he was appointed Chief Assistant, and carried out, under Mr. Owen, the widening of the pier at Aberdovey, to accommodate the steamers and vessels engaged in the Irish traffic.
In 1889 Mr. Jones constructed for the Urban Sanitary Authority of Oswestry new water-works at Trefonen, and in the following year he superintended the laying out of new streets - Ferrers Road and Park Road - and the putting down of new sewers in the town of Oswestry. He was then engaged in surveying, levelling and preparing working plans for the Wrexham and Ellesmere Railway - 13 miles in length - on which he was appointed Resident Engineer under Mr. Owen in 1891.
From that time he was employed in preparing plans for the viaducts and in setting out and superintending the construction of the works generally.
Mr. Jones had always suffered from a weak chest and heart, and had no strength to combat an attack of acute pneumonia, to which he fell a victim on the 28th of June, 1894, after an illness of a few days. Although only twenty-seven years of age, he had by energy and perseverance acquired a sound knowledge of the profession; and by his kind disposition and courteous demeanour made many friends.
Mr. Jones was elected an Associate Member on the 3rd of April, 1894.