Grace's Guide

British Industrial History

Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,100 pages of information and 233,633 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.

Daniel Ernest Mooney

From Graces Guide

Jump to: navigation, search

Daniel Ernest Mooney (1864-1939)

1939 Obituary [1]

"DANIEL ERNEST MOONEY was chairman and managing director of The Armstrong Oiler Company, Ltd., Lendal Bridge, York, with which he had been connected for many years.

He was born in Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island, Canada, in 1864, and received his technical education in evening schools in Boston and Paterson, U.S.A. In 1880 he became an apprentice in the general engineering works of Messrs. George T. McLaughlin, of Boston, but left in 1883 to receive further training with Messrs. Craighead and Kent, lampmakers, of Andover, Mass. From 1886 to 1887 he was employed in New Jersey by Messrs. Cooke and Sons, bridge builders, after which he joined the Delaware, Lackawanna, and Western R.R., and worked in the locomotive repair shops. He gained further experience in locomotive erection at the Rogers Locomotive Works, at Paterson, New Jersey, and then entered the locomotive erecting shops of the Pennsylvania R.R. (New York Division).

From 1899 to 1901 he was employed in Cuba, where he took charge of the reconditioning of locomotives and machinery for sugar plantations. Mr. Mooney came to England in 1902 when he joined the Armstrong Oiler Co. He became managing director in 1904 and chairman in 1935. During his association with the company he designed all the machinery and tools required for the production of axle-box lubricators, and he was also responsible for the rebuilding of the entire works, which were among those visited during the York Summer Meeting of the Institution in 1936. Mr. Mooney's death occurred as the result of a motor car accident on 4th November 1939. He was elected a Member of the Institution in 1936."

See Also


Sources of Information