Grace's Guide

British Industrial History

Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 137,269 pages of information and 220,098 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.

D. G. Todd and Co

From Graces Guide

Jump to: navigation, search

of Cemetery Road, Southport, Lancs, (now Merseyside). Telephone: Southport 56188

  • 1934 The company started making Roddy dolls, named after its owners Daniel G. Todd and Jack Robinson. The first dolls produced were of composition and unmarked.
  • WWII The production of the dolls ceased during the second world war and was resumed in 1945.
  • 1947 Listed Exhibitor - British Industries Fair. Manufacturers of Dolls, Sleeping Dolls, Harmonicas, Musical Toys, Plastic Toys, Miniature Clockwork Cars and Toys, Plastic Power Boats. Toilet Plastic Goods, Combs, Dust Combs, etc., etc. (Olympia, 2nd Floor, Stand No. 2259) [1]
  • 1948 The company produced their first dolls made from hard plastic, this continued until the late 1950s when the Roddy company produced their first dolls made from vinyl.
  • In the mid 1960s the company was sold. The dolls were then sold under the name of 'Bluebell' dolls though the dolls themselves often had the name 'Roddy' on them as they were cast from the original moulds.
  • 1974 Production of Bluebell dolls ceased and the company was then sold to Denys Fisher. [2]


See Also

Loading...

Sources of Information