Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 134,742 pages of information and 213,795 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
of Cwm Avon Ironworks (presumably), Talbach, Glamorgan
John Reynolds erected the extensive ironworks at Cwm Avon.
1851 Award at the 1851 Great Exhibition. See details at 1851 Great Exhibition: Reports of the Juries: Class V.
1865 Cwm Avon and Oakwook had 6 blast furnace, one out of service
1877 Mr. James Shaw and some associates acquired the extensive establishment of the Governor and Company of Copper Miners in England, better known as the Cwm Avon Ironworks.
"This famous company was incorporated by Royal Charter in 1691, and went into liquidation in July, 1876, having succumbed to the storm which wrecked so many other concerns engaged in the iron-trade. It is well known that their great works had cost this ancient Corporation over a million and a quarter of money. Mr. Shaw worked this property for some years with remarkable success, and at a later date, formed the property into a limited liability company, which has since gone into liquidation."
1877 Shortly after this the tinplate works were sold, recovering almost all of the money that Mr Shaw had spent in acquiring the company