Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 143,372 pages of information and 230,037 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
of Hurman St, Cardiff
See also Edward Curran Engineering.
1915 In response to the government's call for munitions, Curran's offered to convert a redundant building adjacent to their Hurman Street iron foundry into a shell case manufacturing plant. The building, which originally had a packed earth floor, was re-conditioned and enlarged, with concrete flooring and platforms laid for the heavy presses and plant required. Accommodation for stores, canteens and offices was also created.
1916 Production of brass 4.5" howitzer cases commenced in spring 1916 and continued uninterrupted to the end of the war. A total of over 7 million 4.5" shell cases were produced during this period. Employed c.2000 people.
By 1921: Cartridge case manufacturers; Edward Curran was chairman and managing director.
Post-WWI production switched to enamelled ware, utilising much of the munitions-making plant and staff.
1930s Curran's Munition Factory went on to play a significant part in British re-armament in the late 1930s, being a private firm which had retained much of its machinery and expertise for producing munitions.