Cunliffe and Dunlop
From Graces Guide
In 1869/70/71 the Inch Yard at Port Glasgow was taken over from Lawrence Hill by D. J. Dunlop and J.L Cunliffe who began trading as Cunliffe and Dunlop.
1870s The yard made shallow-draft craft and cable ships.
From then until 1881 they built 80 ships including SS Esbjerg for DFDS and the first tug Scot for the Caledonian Canal.
In 1881 Cunliffe retired and Dunlop continued with the business name amended to David J. Dunlop and Co. All together over 100 ships were built prior to 1911 when Dunlop died. The name was felt to be valuable and a new company was formed with Donald Bremner as managing director who retained the Dunlop name as Dunlop, Bremner and Co.
1919 the yard was sold to Lithgows
Sources of Information
- The Engineer 1871/10/06 page 234.
- The Port Glasgow Yards