Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,415 pages of information and 233,868 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
1872 Joseph William Wilson suggested to directors of the Crystal Palace Co the founding of a School of Engineering, which was located in the Crystal Palace; in this he had the support of the company's secretary, Mr. George Grove, who had himself had an engineering training.
Mr Wilson, assisted by his son Joseph William junior provided the students with a personal training in the combined practice and theory of the first period of their engineering career, with the result that many of them attained leading positions in various parts of the world.
1920s The school premises were moved to Anerley-hill.
The South Tower was demolished in the early 1940s but a surviving part of the School of Engineering's premises is now the Crystal Palace Museum.