Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 132,594 pages of information and 209,978 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Engine manufacturers, of Sandiacre, near Nottingham.
1890 Company founded as Wells Brothers of Nottingham.
1898 Public company formed, Premier Gas Engine Co.
1919 The company was bought by Crossley Brothers
1935 The name was changed to Crossley-Premier Engines Ltd; public offer of shares .
1962 Agreement to use the French Pielstick design of engines. Production of these engines, intended for ships, railway locomotives and electricity generation, was initially carried out at Nottingham.
1965 Before the Pielstick engines were established in the market, funds ran out and Crossley Brothers had to call in the receivers.
1965 The Sandiacre factory was sold to Peter Brotherhood Ltd; the work done at Sandiacre was transferred to Crossley's Openshaw factory as well as plant concerned with testing and manufacture of Pielstick engines, so that the complete manufacture of Pielstick engines would take place under one roof .
1966 The receivers of Crossley Brothers had reorganised the company and sold the business and assets to some of its subsidiaries. Subsequently Belliss and Morcom acquired Crossley-Premier Engines and Furnival and Co .
1966 Production ceased at Sandiacre.