Crompton, Evans and Co
Crompton, Evans Union Bank Ltd, a joint stock bank with limited liability, of Derby
1877 Established for the purpose of acquiring the existing sister-banks Crompton, Newton & Co of Derby and Crompton, Newton & Co of Chesterfield, as well as W & S Evans & Co of Derby.
Branches were opened at Wirksworth and Mansfield in the first year of operation.
1878 The bank acquired the failed Chesterfield & North Derbyshire Banking Co
1879 Acquired Wilson & Son of Alfreton and James Taylor & Sons of Bakewell
By 1914 the bank had 46 branches and sub-branches. Deposits grew from £1.187 million in 1878 to £5.61 million in 1913. In 1914 the bank was acquired by Parr's Bank.
Sources of Information
-  RBS Heritage