Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 134,742 pages of information and 213,800 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Court Works Ltd, Madeley, near Telford, Shropshire; a foundry, later specializing in iron castings for the electrical industry.
1544 Robert Brooke bought the Manor of Madeley from Wenlock Priory
1553 Brooke built his house, Madeley Court, on the site of an earlier monastic grange.
1711 Abraham Darby rented part of the house, until his death in 1717.
1828, Stourbridge ironmaster James Foster bought the house and began mining in the area. His company sank seventeen pits altogether.
1843 Foster built three blast furnaces nearby which worked until 1902, being finally dismantled two years later. Their existence is commemorated in the name of The Three Furnaces public house. All the Madeley Court pig iron was sent to the Foster's ironworks in Staffordshire and Worcestershire, to be blended with other types, for the manufacture of high quality bar.
1910 Production at the site ceased; fifteen of the seventeen pits were abandoned officially in 1911.
1910 or 1912 (sic) The ironworks were taken over by Thomas Parker, a successful electrical engineer and local resident who, when young, had worked for Coalbrookdale Co as a moulder. He and his son C. H. Parker established Court Works Ltd., a foundry firm specializing in iron castings for the electrical industry.
By 1937 was a subsidiary of Heenan and Froude
1965 Major expansion of Court Works Ltd with investment in a new annealling furnace and a change of sales method, supplying directly the contractors who used their fittings in construction of overhead lines. Expected that production would treble over the next 10 years; plenty of space available on site for expansion.
c.1970 Company was making losses due to reduction in demand from CEGB and certain fixed price contracts.