Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 126,733 pages of information and 199,758 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Cook's Kitchen Mine is in the parish of Illogan, union of Redruth, hundred of Penwith, Cornwall, within the bounds of the manor of John Francis Basset, Esq., and mining district of Illogan; it is situated 3 miles from the town of Redruth.
South Crofty Mine is mid-way betwen Camborne and Redruth at Pool in Cornwall. It was first mined as a small sett called Penhellick Vean in the 1590's, and became South Wheal Crofty in 1854. Initially as most of the mines here, it was a shallow tin mine and then a copper mine.
The mine switched to the deep tin zone from the 1860's onwards. From the 1890's onwards the mine acquired other setts as the surrounding mines closed, including New Cook's Kitchen Mine, Tincroft & Carn Brea, North Roskear, South Roskear and Dolcoath Mine in 1930, to become a huge underground mine spanning nearly 4.5 km across. The workings reached almost 3000 feet in depth.
The mine was worked for tin, arsenic and tungsten during the early 20th century, but by 1960 tin was the sole product. When it closed in 1998 it had been producing for 400 years of almost continuous work. It still posesses significant reserves.
1680s Penhellick Vean and Tyn Croft - the forerunners of South Crofty are first mentioned in the historical records.
1730s Newcomen engines were introduced to the mine.
1740s Cooks Kitchen Mine was started.
1787 The Great Copper Slump caused many Cornish mines to shut for about a decade.
1822 The sett of East Wheal Crofty recorded.
1859 A 'man engine' was installed on Dunkin's shaft at Cook's Kitchen, followed by the sale of part of the South Wheal Crofty sett in 1861. The capital from the sale funded the construction of Palmer's pumping Engine house near the boundary with the neighbouring East Pool sett.
1872 The sett of Cook's Kitchen on the western boundary with Dolcoath is subdivided into the northern New Cook's Kitchen sett with the southern half remaining as Cook's Kitchen sett.
1895 Cook's Kitchen Mine is sold to Tincroft mines with Tincroft and Carn Brea Mines amalgamating the following year.
1899 The new company purchased New Cook's Kitchen sett and pumping recommenced.
1901 The sinking of Robinson's shaft began followed by construction of Robinson's pumping engine house by 1903.
1906 The former 'South Wheal Crofty' company becomes 'South Crofty Limited' in July. 1907 The shaft at New Cook's Kitchen commenced sinking with a modernisation of the stamps and mill areas the following year.
1914-1918 World War One causes an increased demand for tin copper and other metals.
1921 The post war slump caused the neighbouring mines at Dolcoath, Carn Brea and Tincroft to close. A large collapse of rock underground blocked both shafts at the neighbouring East Pool Mine. With no pumping occuring in the neighbouring setts parts of South Crofty mine began flooding. So in 1922 South Crofty had to purchase the 90 inch pumping engine formerly at Fortescue's shaft at Wheal Grenville.
1922-27 Taylor's shaft at East Pool was constructed and commissioned as well as other shafts at New Tolgus and New Roskear.
1936 The large sett of Dolcoath to the west was purchased. Considerably increasing the size of the mine.