Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 143,712 pages of information and 230,103 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
The Lochearnhead, St Fillans and Comrie Railway company was formed to fill the gap between the railways that had arrived in Crieff area from the south and east, and the Callander and Oban Railway where it came out of Strathyre and entered Glen Ogle at Lochearnhead.
The C&O station originally called Lochearnhead was two miles south of the village of that name, and shortly before Lochearnhead station was opened, the C&O station became 'Balquhidder'.
The line to St Fillans was opened on 1 October 1901, with the line being completed to the renamed Balquhidder station on 1 May 1905.
Following the take-over by the Caledonian Railway on 1 August 1902 the line was completed to the renamed Balquhidder station on 1 May 1905.
The line was closed on 1 October 1951.