Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,100 pages of information and 233,633 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
1810 The Commercial Banking Co of Scotland was founded as a co-partnership bank to provide facilities to commercial, industrial and agricultural businessmen of modest means. As a joint-stock bank with substantial capitalisation and large shareholding it presented a considerable challenge to the existing public banks.
From the outset it issued its own banknotes. It also immediately began to establish branches over a wide geographical area
By 1815 the bank had 14 branches.
1825 Acquired the Caithness Banking Co
1831 Secured a royal charter. It relied heavily on its London agents, initially Bruce Simson and Co
1844 it took over Arbroath Banking Co.
1847 Opened new head office in George Street, Edinburgh.
By 1860 the bank had 56 branches; the second largest network of any Scottish bank.
1864 London agents were changed to London and Westminster Bank.
1882 it adopted limited liability status.
1883 Commercial Bank opened an office in London.
By 1920 has 240 brances.
1954 Bought Scottish Midland Guarantee Trust, the hire purchase subsidiary of Scottish Motor Traction, thereby becoming the first British bank to take a direct financial interest in hire purchase.
1959 Commercial Bank merged with National Bank of Scotland, whose owners, Lloyds Bank, surrendered control in return for a stake in the new bank, which was named National Commercial Bank of Scotland.
 RBS Heritage