Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 142,918 pages of information and 228,821 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
A Class A viaduct immediately east of Menheniot railway station.
138 feet (42 m) high, 795 feet (242 m) long on 16 piers.
The piers were raised in brick and new iron girders replaced the timber, the work being completed on 23 January 1898. An accident occurred on 9 February 1897 during this reconstruction while a gang of 17 workmen were suspended below the viaduct on a platform that broke away, throwing 12 of the men 140 feet (43 m) to their deaths. Two of the gangers were criticised for not fixing safety chains and using poor quality wood for the platforms.
The piers were strengthened in 1933 by encasing them in stone.