Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 134,777 pages of information and 213,825 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Part of Liverpool Docks
The Union Half Tide Basin and Brunswick Basin first existed on the site, which were built c.1817-23. Brunswick Basin was renamed as Coburg Dock in 1840, in honour of Prince Albert, and provided with a 70 ft (21 m)-wide river entrance.
From 1842, the dock became Jesse Hartley's South Dockyard headquarters.
Coburg Dock was enlarged in 1858, consuming the Union dock, and enlarged again in 1902.
The river entrance fell into disuse and was subsequently sealed up. The dock was used as a repair berth and for grain discharge, having a 62,000 long tons (63,000 t) capacity grain silo.
The dock closed in 1972.
In 1986, the grain silo near the dock basin was demolished.
South Ferry Basin or 'The Cockle Hole', a small open basin to the south, was little known under its own name and often confused as being part of Coburg Dock