Grace's Guide

British Industrial History

Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 130,457 pages of information and 207,683 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.

Clyde Shipbuilding and Engineering Co

From Graces Guide

Jump to: navigation, search

of Castle Works, Port Glasgow. The Clyde Shipbuilding and Engineering Co operated from the Castle yard near Newark Castle in Glasgow, Scotland.

The yard had a long and distinguished history prior to 1900 when the Clyde Company arrived. It had previously been owned by Blackwood and Gordon before closing for two years between 1887 and 1889. There was an attempt by Blackwood to restart the company, but it never really established itself. The Clyde Shipbuilding Co. took over the yard and almost immediately started receiving orders.

Shipbuilding

1900 Clyde Shipbuilding and Engineering Co Ltd was formed with a registered capital of £30,000 to take over Blackwood and Gordon's Castle Street yard, which it then modernised. Mr John Reid, shipbuilder, was in charge of the practical side of the business and Mr Robert Carswell, the commercial department.[1] They built over 100 ships in the following quarter century.

1900s A series of ships were ordered by British, Danish and other countries. The yard also made coastal passenger ships for Australian and British companies

1914 Shipbuilders, Engineers, Boilermakers, Ship and Yacht Repairers. Listed as successors to Blackwood and Gordon. [2]

WWI The yard made standard ships as well as four gunboats.

1919 The yard was taken over by Amalgamated Industrials Ltd which later became part of John Slater Group. The yard moved into a new phase of building even larger vessels.

1920s From 1920-28 the yard made 11 large ships and several Great Lakes traders.

1925 See Aberconway for information on shipbuilding h.p produced in 1904 and 1925

1927 the John Slater Group collapsed and the yard was sold to James Lamont who closed it until 1938.

See Also

Loading...

Sources of Information

  1. The Engineer 1900/03/02 p 241.
  2. 1914 Whitakers Red Book
  • British Shipbuilding Yards. 3 vols by Norman L. Middlemiss
  • The Engineer of 23rd February 1900. p264
  • Port Glasgow Shipyards [1]