Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 134,030 pages of information and 213,093 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Clipper Pneumatic Tyre Company, of 14 Regent Street, London
of Alma Street, Coventry.
John Davenport Siddeley was sent by Dunlop Pneumatic Tyre Co to be their representative in Coventry. Realising the potential of the pneumatic tyre for giving added comfort to wheeled vehicles he started importing continental tyres; this was possibly the first of the 'quick fit' tyre companies.
1897 The Clipper Pneumatic Tyre Company was floated, with John Davenport Siddeley as managing director . The objects of the company were to purchase from Dunlop Pneumatic Tyre Co a licence to manufacture pneumatic tyres under the Bartlett (Clincher) patents, to take a licence from the Dunlop Pneumatic Tyre Co to manufacture the Westwood Rims, to take a sole licence to make Bagot tyres, to manufacture and sell tyres and rims under these patents.
In order to publicise his products Siddeley undertook and organised a marathon cycle ride from Lands End to John O'Groats, his main part in this venture was to make sure everything ran smoothly rather than ride all the way himself, and he could be seen carrying his own design lightweight bicycle over his shoulder and brief case in his hand at various railway stations on route, either joining the ride or going on ahead to make sure accommodation was ready and sending telegrams to newspapers so as to get maximum publicity. It would indicate that he was 100 years before his time in being his own Spin Doctor!
1898-1920 Annual reports in Coventry Archives
1901 Before the company moved premises to Alma Street, they started to manufacture their own tyres. This was next door to Dunlop Pneumatic Tyre Co's fire engine house. At this time he decided that his future was in motor cars rather than tyres, so he sold the company to the Dunlop Pneumatic Tyre Co.
1903 The tyres were made by the Continental Caoutchouc and Guttapercha Co (see advert).
1904 The Clipper Tyre Co was registered on 15 March, in reconstruction of the Clipper Pneumatic Tyre Co
1912 Clipper Pneumatic Tyre Co of Alma St, Coventry.