Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 136,357 pages of information and 219,137 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
The Clifton and Kearsley Coal Co, of Clifton near Manchester.
In the eighteenth century and the first half of the nineteenth the collieries were worked on a small scale by the Fletcher family, whose consulting engineer was James Brindley
1858 The Pilkington family bought the concern. Edward Pilkington (1843–1923), Alfred Pilkington (1844–1896), Charles Pilkington (1850–1918), and Lawrence Pilkington (1855–1941) joined their uncles (by name of Evans) in the Clifton and Kearsley collieries near Manchester.
1885 Limited company incorporated to purchase from Messrs. T. D. Grimke, Edward Pilkington, and others, the Clifton and Kersley Collieries, Lancaster. The directors were:
Also a shareholder was C. Pilkington, Hayton, engineer .
From 1908 the operations of the Company were extended to Astley, where a new pit was sunk.
1927 See Aberconway Chapter VII for information on the company and its history.
1929 Became part of Manchester Collieries together with its associated companies Pilkington Colliery Co Ltd, Outwood Collieries Ltd, Collieries (Clifton and Kersley) Ltd