Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,100 pages of information and 233,633 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
The Clifton Rocks Railway was an underground funicular railway in Bristol, linking Clifton at the top to Hotwells and Bristol Harbour at the bottom of the Avon Gorge in a tunnel cut through the limestone cliffs. The upper station is close to Brunel's famous Clifton Suspension Bridge and is located adjacent to the former Grand Spa Hotel (now the Avon Gorge Hotel). The lower station was opposite the paddle steamer landing ferries in Hotwells, Hotwells railway station of the Bristol Port and Pier Railway, a terminus of Bristol Tramways and the Rownham ferry enabling connections across the river Avon. Unusually the railway consisted of 2 pairs of twin tracks.
1891 Construction of the railway was funded by the publisher George Newnes, also proprietor of the Lynton and Lynmouth Cliff Railway; the starting ceremony was opened with a loud explosion fired by the wife of the Lord Mayor. The engineer, as at Lynton, was George Croydon Marks of Birmingham; also the architect was Mr Philip Munro of Bristol; contractor was C. A. Hayes also of Bristol.
1893 Opened on 11 March, but was never a great success
1894 The Clifton Rocks Railway Co. Ltd was formed to operate the line.
1912 it was sold to Bristol Tramways and Carriage Co but continued to struggle on until it closed on 1 October 1934.
WWII The tunnel provided air-raid shelters and an emergency base for the BBC in the city.