1864 Cleveland Iron Ship Yard
After 1866, when Backhouse and Dixon's yard closed for a period, they added the former Candlish and Fox and David Jays yards to establish the Cleveland Dockyard, which they ran with the help of Dixon's younger brother Waynman.
1889 Dixons was the largest shipbuilder on the Tees. Seven of the ten largest ships built on the Tees between 1889 and 1914 were made at the Cleveland Dockyard, including the SS Montrose (1897), the first Teesside ship over 5000 tons, and the SS Manchester City (1898).
Sources of Information
- The Commercial Directory and Shippers Guide, 1872
- Northern Echo, 12 October 1889