Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 130,446 pages of information and 207,395 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Their engines sometimes bore the name 'Clayton & Goodfellow'
1879 'On Tuesday a new tandem engine was started at Spring Vale Paper Works, Darwen, belonging to the Darwen Paper Mill Co., Limited. The engine has been constructed by Messrs. Clayton, Goodfellow, and Co., of Blackburn, and is a fine specimen of its class. It is on the compound principle, having two steam cylinders, one for high pressure, 21-inch diameter, and one for low pressure, 35-inch diameter. Each has a 4 ft. 6 inch stroke, and the working speed is 45 to 50 strokes per minute. It is also fitted with a horizontal double acting air pump and other modern improvements, and altogether reflects great credit upon the makers. The power is taken from the engine by means of a large India rubber belt measuring 36 inches wide, supplied by Messrs. Entwistle and Nutter, Darwen, and is without doubt the largest in the neighbourhood, and gives entire satisfaction. The main driving drum on the crank shaft is 20 feet diameter, and the drum on second motion shaft is 10 feet diameter. The engine is intended to drive the whole of the washing engines, besides the chopping and other preparations, and appears to work exceedingly well. 
1894 165 HP cross compound horizontal engine for Clayton Street Mills, Blackburn.