Grace's Guide To British Industrial History

Registered UK Charity (No. 115342)

Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 163,352 pages of information and 245,904 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.

Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 147,919 pages of information and 233,587 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.

Clan Line

From Graces Guide

of Glasgow, operated by Clan Line Steamers Ltd.

1878 Mr. C. W. Cayzer founded Cayzer, Irvine and Co, known generally as the Clan Line, with the S.S. Clan Alpine and S.S. Clan Fraser, of 2,080 tons each. Mr. John Muir, of James Finlay and Co, later Sir John Muir, Lord Provost of Glasgow, was associated with this venture. The Stephens also took a financial interest in the Company, agreeing to an extension of the terms of payment for their vessels, to facilitate the foundation of the new Line. In a few years Mr. Cayzer was able to dispense with outside assistance and take full control of the business.[1]

The association continued for many years, new ships being built in batches of two or three about every third year, until 1900, when there was a break in the series owing to the Clan Line's adoption of the Doxford turret type of vessel, which was reputed to save much in Suez Canal dues through small tonnage measurement. This turret form came to be regarded as the mark of a Clan Line ship.

1900 "NOTICE is hereby given that the Subscribers, the Trustees of the late James Arthur, of Barshaw, the Trustees of the late Thomas Coats, of Ferguslie, the Trustees of the late John Moffat, Merchant, Ardrossan, Matthew Arthur, Thomas Glen Arthur, James Arthur, Andrew Arthur, Mrs. Jessie Fulton Arthur or Hay, with consent of Charles Edward Hay, James Coats, junior, Sir Thomas Glen Coats, Baronet, George Coats, William Allan Coats, and Andrew Coats, have ceased, the said respective Trustees as from 31st December 1889, and the other Subscribers as from 31st December 1896, to have any interest in the Joint Adventures or Joint Adventure carried on under the names of THE CLAN LINE ASSOCIATION, THE CLAN LINE ASSOCIATION - STEAMERS, or THE CLAN LINE ASSOCIATION CALCUTTA STEAMERS."[2]

This turret form, the mark of a Clan Line ship, continued until about 1911 to 1913, when two shelter-deck ships, the Clan MacNaughton and Clan MacQuarrie, of 5,000 tons each, were built at Linthouse, completing a total of nineteen ships and 54,000 gross tons for this Line.

Later, under the direction of Sir August B. C. Cayzer, the Clan Line took over a Clyde shipyard, which supplied all its requirements.


See Also

Loading...

Sources of Information

  1. A Shipbuilding History. 1750-1932 (Alexander Stephen and Sons): Chapter 7
  2. Edinburgh Gazette 18 May 1900