Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 132,942 pages of information and 210,197 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
of Love Lane, Sumner Street, Southwark
1891 February: the City of London Electric Lighting (Pioneer) Company Ltd was established to carry out preliminary works in the Eastern and Central districts.
1891 Public company incorporated as City of London Electric Lighting Company Ltd to acquire the works carried out by the City of London Electric Lighting (Pioneer) Company Ltd; the company divided its business into 3 areas - the Laing, Wharton and Down Construction Syndicate had been granted a provisional order for the Eastern area; Brush Electrical Engineering Co had been granted orders for the Central and Western areas.
c.1895 Charles Merz went to work at the Bankside station of the City of London Electric Lighting Company as assistant to Aubrey Llewellyn Coventry Fell, superintending contracts for the British Thomson-Houston Co, of which company his father was at that time a director.
1912 A correspondent to The Times identified the City of London Electric Supply Co's Bankside station near Southwark Bridge as one of 6 which should be considered for bulk supply in an integrated London network; it generated 400 V DC, high tension, single and two phase (sic).
1913 Six London companies placed a large advert about potential uses of electricity in the home and office - in the drawing room, in the dining room, in the bedroom, for cooking and for vacuum cleaning