Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 145,273 pages of information and 230,730 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
1885 City and Guilds of London Institute, unable to find a large enough site within the City of London for their Central Institution, were persuaded to establish it on the 87 acre site in South Kensington bought by the 1851 Exhibition Commissioners for 'purposes of art and science' in perpetuity.
The South Kensington building of the Central Technical College was designed by Alfred Waterhouse, better known as the architect of the Natural History Museum. Located adjacent to the college on the same site were the Royal School of Mines and the Royal College of Science.
1885-6 The first complete session of the college had 35 students
1892-3 The total number of regular students who attended the Central Technical College was 205
1907 The Imperial College of Science and Technology was established as a constituent college of the University of London. It was created by bringing together the Central Technical College of the City and Guilds of London Institute, the Royal School of Mines and the Royal College of Science
The Central Technical College of the City and Guilds of London Institute was renamed as the City and Guilds College; it would continue to be managed by a committee of the City and Guilds of London Institute; it would continue to award diplomas and, until issues of its incorporation in the University could be resolved, it would be known as a "school" of the University. .
1910 The City and Guilds College was incorporated into Imperial College.
Although the City and Guilds College was, for much of its life, governed through Imperial College, the City and Guilds Institute, together with a number of livery companies in their own right, have maintained seats on the governing body (the Court) of Imperial College.