Grace's Guide

British Industrial History

Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,095 pages of information and 233,633 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.

Chorlton Street Iron Works

From Graces Guide

Jump to: navigation, search

in Manchester

The 1849 O.S. map [1] shows 'Chorlton Street Iron Works (Mill Work and Iron Foundry)' located in a block bounded on its long sides by Richmond Street and Bloom Street, and on its short sides by Chorlton Street and Minshull Street. About a quarter of the area is occupied by the L-shaped Chorlton Street Iron Works, the remainder cotaining a small cotton mill, a timber yard and a stone yard, and an unidentified building. The map shows a round portion attached to the Richmond Street wing of the iron works, perhaps a stairwell, and dotted lines suggests that a tunnel communicates with it from the Chorlton Street wind

Adshead's 1851 map shows the iron works premises as McClare and Co's Silk Mill, while the cotton mill is marked as Chapple & Co's Smallware Mill.

In 1851 J. Houtson & Co's Machine Works occupied the corresponding plot immediately south east of the above plot.

The Site in 1848

'All and every the Very Valuable MILLS, WORKSHOPS, and PREMISES, bounded by Blooms-treet, Chorlton-street, and Richmond-street, Manchester, occupied by Messrs. Chappell, Messrs. Buller, Willis, and Son, Mr. Booth, and others, together with the vacant Land adjoining, IN ONE LOT, or in the lots following:
Lot 1. All that and those the MILL, WORKSHOPS and OFFICES occupied by Mr. Booth and others, fronting Chorlton-street, Bloom-street, and Richmond-street, and the site thereof, with vacant land adjoining, containing in the whole five hundred square yards, or thereabouts.
Lot 2. All that MILL, fronting Bloom-street, occupied by Messrs. Chappell and Marsden, and the site thereof, containing three hnndred and ten square yards, or thereabouts.
Lot 3. All that MILL, fronting Richmond-street, occupied by Messrs. Buller, Willis, and Son, and others, and the site thereof, containing four hundred square yards, or thereabouts.
Each lot will sold subject to ground rent of one shilling per square yard, of enclosed building land, without measuring into the streets adjoining. The erections are new, substantially built, of the best construction and arrangement, have excellent lights, and being on the banks of the Rochdale canal, water for manufacturing purposes may be obtained at nominal rent. The property is freehold, situated in the centre of the business part of the city, of a most improving description, and fit and suitable for all business or manufacturing purposes. ..... [2]


See Also

Loading...

Sources of Information

  1. 'The Godfrey Edition Old Ordnance Survey Maps: Manchester Sheet 29: Manchester (Piccadilly) 1849' Alan Godfrey Maps website
  2. Manchester Courier and Lancashire General Advertiser, 5 April 1848