Grace's Guide

British Industrial History

Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,408 pages of information and 233,867 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.

Chewton Keynsham Mill

From Graces Guide

Jump to: navigation, search
Looking downstream along the River Chew towards the dam over which the road passes. There is a small island immediately downstream of the dam. The red-roofed house is on the site of the mill. The river carries on to the right, passes over a weir, and then heads north under the dam, rejoining the branch which would have taken the water from the sluices and from the tailrace. The two sluice gate operating mechanisms were supplied by J. Trott and Bissicks

at Chewton Place, Chewton Keynsham, just south of Keynsham

No longer extant, this mill used water power to grind logwood to produce dye.

1784 'To be lett, one of the most compleat MILLS for manufacturing Woods for Dyer's use that there is in the kingdom, situate at Chewton-Keynsham ..... Firther particulars made be had of Mr. Philip Lediard, in Thomas-street, Bristol; or of Mr. John Thomas, on the premises.'[1]

1843 Advert: 'FIRE.-On Sunday morning, about six o'clock, a fire was discovered in one of the mills belonging to Messrs. Lediard, Jones, and Mortimer, of this city, dry salters, situated at Chewton Keynsham, and immediately adjoining the residence of Mr. Jones, which burnt with such rapidity that in the course of half-an-hour the entire roof fell in, and nearly the whole of the valuable stock was destroyed. By the greatest exertions the fire was prevented from communicating with the dwelling-house, which must otherwise have fallen a prey to the devouring element. The property was, we understand, fully insured, and the business of the firm will not suffer the least impediment in consequence of the misfortune.'[2]

The 1882/4 25" OS map shows the Logwood Mill, located on the west side of a small island.

See Also


Sources of Information

  1. Bath Chronicle and Weekly Gazette, 5 August 1784
  2. Monmouthshire Merlin, 2 September 1843