Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 147,396 pages of information and 233,518 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Chemical Research Laboratory
1925 The laboratory was established by the Department of Scientific and Industrial Research (DSIR) at Teddington. It was not intended to cover the whole range of chemical research but to fill a gap in the available laboratory resources of DSIR and to undertake from time to time such chemical investigations as the department thought desirable in the public interest. It was organised in a varying number of research groups, described by the titles of their most important projects, not by the branches of chemistry with which their work was principally concerned.
1927 The Chemistry Research Board was set up and took on the supervision of the work of the Laboratory.
1931 Started work on road tar in co-operation with the British Road Tar Association under the supervision of the Road Tar Research Committee,
1943 the work of the laboratory on road tar was transferred to the Road Research Laboratory.
1950 Took over the National Collection of Industrial Bacteria
1957 Set up a Chemical Engineering Group
1958 Renamed the National Chemical Laboratory
1958 the research board was replaced by a National Chemical Laboratory Steering Committee with similar terms of reference.
1959 the National Collection of Industrial Bacteria was transferred to the Torry Research Station
The Chemical Engineering Group was transferred to the Warren Spring Laboratory.
1964 the Extraction of Metals Group was also transferred to the Warren Spring Laboratory and the steering committee was dissolved.
1965 the National Chemical Laboratory was absorbed by the National Physical Laboratory, on the transfer of the latter to the control of the Ministry of Technology.