1810 9 June: the Gas Light and Coke Co, commonly known as the Chartered Company, was formally established, with James Ludovic Grant as its first governor
1812/4 Samuel Clegg joined the company
1814 Samuel Clegg, of the Chartered Gas Co, successfully lit an entire district of London with coal gas
1817 At the three stations belonging to the Chartered Gas Co, 25 chaldron (24 m³) of coal were daily carbonized, producing 300,000 cubic feet (8,500 m³) of gas, which was equal to the supply of 75,000 Argand lamps, each yielding the light of six candles.
1840 Alexander Croll, superintendent of the Chartered Gas Co's works in Brick Lane patented improvements in manufacture of gas and materials for purification of gas
1870 Description and illustrations of the Chartered Gas Co's new Beckton Road Bridge footbridge/pipe bridge) over the River Lea, a short distance north of the Barking Road iron bridge (Bow Creek Bridge), built in 1810. The ornate cast iron bridge structure incorporated gas mains. Engineer: Frederic John Evans.
1871 Reference to the new bridge over the River Lea, leading to the Chartered Gas Light and Coke Co's works at Barking
After 1873 the title "Chartered Gas Co" was not used in the London Gazette
NB When the Gas Light and Coke Co was first formed, it was called the London and Westminster Chartered Gas Light and Coke Co, and was commonly known as the "Chartered"
Sources of Information
- ↑ Biography of Frederick Winsor, ODNB 
- ↑ London Gazette 3 January 1854
- ↑  Engineering 28 Jan 1870
- ↑ The Engineer 1871/05/12
- ↑ Gazette Issue 21 April 1871
- ↑ Chemicals from Coal by C A Townsend