Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 143,446 pages of information and 230,060 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Charron Ltd, of London, originally an importer of chassis from Charron (CGV) in France
1907 The public company was in existence as ordinary shares were allotted
1908 Started taking orders for the cars but only a few were delivered in the year (154 chassis).
1908-1930 Annual reports in Coventry Archives
1909 Second General Meeting was held in London; Davison Dalziel presided; 578 chassis had been delivered in the first 5 months of the year; Mr F. Charron, director general, had left employment with the company and taken up a similar position with his father-in-law, Mr Clement, but retained a financial interest in the company.
1911 Fourth General meeting. The main market was that for private cars but there was also demand for replacement taxi cabs; Paris showrooms had been opened and agencies in several countries in various parts of the world.
1912 Fifth general meeting; turnover quoted in francs; in the first 6 months of the year, deliveries in France had been 174 private vehicles and deliveries to other countries had risen whilst deliveries of taxi cabs had fallen
1913 Sixth general meeting: Increased demand from London Motor Garage Co who had been the sole agents since 1904; the company had opened a second showroom in Paris and one in Madrid; the factory was well equipped and modern machines had been introduced which improved the quality of production
1914 At the outbreak of war the factory was closed as the working men were called up; it was only re-opened in October; sales of private cars stopped but the French government ordered shell cases and aeroplane parts
1915 The French government ordered munitions, lorries and shell cases.
1916 Acquired a controlling interest in W. S. Laycock of Sheffield
1919 Commissioned an engine works for cars in Sheffield, which had been established during the war to make aeroplane engines
See Charron-Laycock of Sheffield