Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 146,913 pages of information and 232,835 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
of Anchor Brewery, Mile End Road, London, E., and Burton-on-Trent.
1738 Company founded, as Wastfield and Moss, an English brewery company.
1766 Became Charrington & Moss.
1862 Charrington, Head and Co was at the Anchor Brewery, Mile End Road.
1872 The company established a presence at Burton-on-Trent, buying the Lewis Meakin brewery there and brewing at the Abbey Brewery until 1926 when it was sold.
1881 Became Charrington and Co.
1890 Company participated in a London conference of brewers, called to consider the position of the trade.
1897 The company was registered in July as Charrington and Co.
1911 Took over Chandler's Wiltshire Brewery Ltd, 505 Hackney Road, Bethnal Green (which had been registered in May 1900 to acquire the business carried on by George Charles Porter and William Henry Dieseldorff as Chandler & Co). A half interest was acquired by Charringtons.
1916 Acquired E. J. Brooks, 133 Hill Street, Peckham.
1925 Acquired Savill Brothers Ltd., Maryland Road, Stratford (which had been founded in 1856).
1927 Acquired Edward Tilney and Co, Alma Brewery, Spelman Street, Whitechapel.
1929 Acquired Seabrooke and Sons, Ltd., Thurrock Brewery, Bridge Road, Grays, Essex (which had been founded by Thomas Seabrooke in 1799. Registered 1891 with about 12 public houses).
1929 Acquired Wests Brewery Co., Ltd., Three Crowns Brewery, 313/315 Hackney Road (which had been registered 1895 with over 60 tied houses).
1933 Acquired Hoare and Co., Ltd., Red Lion Brewery, Lower East Smithfield. Hoare's trademark, a toby jug, still forms part of the Bass Charrington trademark.