Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 142,946 pages of information and 228,823 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Charles William Dixon ( -1871)
1873 Obituary 
MR. CHARLES WILLIAM DIXON, the second son of Mr. Benjamin Dixon of Pledwick, near Wakefield, was educated partly at the West Riding Proprietary School, in his native town, and partly at Scarborough, under the tutorship of the Rev. John Oates, the present head master of St. Peter’s College, Guernsey.
Having early showed a predilection for mechanics, he was articled in the year 1862 to James Kitson, M. Inst. C.E., of the firm of Kitson, Thompson, and Hewetson, Leeds. Having studied practical detail in the workshops and fitting-sheds, he, on the expiration of his articles, filled several situations for short periods, and was then for two years a partner in the firm of Kirk and Co., of the New Yard Rolling Mills, Workington.
Subsequently his attention was turned more to the theory of the profession, and the mechanical ingenuity which marked his short career was displayed in several suggestions for improvements which he believed would be found of practical utility.
In the year 1867 he introduced an “Invention for improvements in mounting Wheels on Axles, the same being specially applicable to Railway Wheels;” and about the same date invented an “Improved Slide Valve.”
He was elected an Associate of the Institution of Civil Engineers on the 4th of February, 1868.
After some years of failing health, he died at Wiesbaden, in Germany, on the 27th of December, 1871, aged thirty-one years.