Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 130,457 pages of information and 207,626 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Charles Waring (1827-1887)
1827 Born the son of John Waring
1880 His brothers left the Waring Brothers partnership
1881 Living at 19b Grosvenor Square, London: Charles Waring (age 54 born Ecclesall, Yorkshire), Contractor for Public Works. With his wife Eliza Waring (age 34 born Inverness) and their two sons George Waring (age 7 born St. Geo. H. S.) and Walter Waring (age 4 born St. Geo. H. S.). Seven servants.
1887 August 26th. Died. 
1888 Obituary 
CHARLES WARING was the third son of Mr. John Waring, a well-known contractor for public works.
He was born at Eccleshall, near Sheffield. On the completion of his school life, he became associated with his father, who constructed many important public works.
He afterwards became a partner in the firm of Waring Brothers, railway contractors, who carried out large and important contracts in England, France, Belgium, Spain, Portugal, Austria, Hungary, India, and South America.
In recognition of his public services, he was made a Chevalier of the Order of Leopold of Belgium, and of the Order of St. Maurice and St. Lazarus of Italy.
Mr. Charles Waring was Member of Parliament for the Borough of Poole in the Liberal interest, from 1865 to 1868, and had been active in politics ever since, being of late a Liberal Unionist. He was a frequent contributor to the ‘Fortnightly Review,’ and wrote about Brazilian railways, the Future of Industry, the Suez Canal, and the State Purchase of Railways, &c. The articles on State Purchase of Railways have recently been enlarged upon and published by Messrs. Chapman and Hall in book form. This book has attracted much attention throughout the country. He was a man of remarkable energy and sterling qualities, possessing great force of character and ability.
Mr. Charles Waring was elected an Associate of the Institution on the 1st of April, 1851. He died at Wycombe Abbey, High Wycombe, on the 26th of August, 1887