Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 142,850 pages of information and 228,791 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Charles Henry Shortt (1852-1914)
1915 Obituary 
CHARLES HENRY SHORTT, born on the 12th February, 1853, at Inverness, died on the 5th January, 1915.
Educated at Inverness, he was articled to the late Mr. George G. Mackay.
In 1875 he entered the service of the London and South Western Railway, becoming head of the Drawing Office in 1882.
In 1887 he was appointed Chief Assistant to the Resident Engineer, the late Mr. E. Andrews, and became Assistant Engineer to the Company in 1891, which position he occupied until his retirement in 1914, the Chief Engineer during the latter half of this period being the late Mr. J. W. Jacomb-Hood.
Mr. Shortt was largely responsible for the various schemes of engineering works proposed and carried out by the Company, amongst which may be mentioned the Exmouth and Salterton, Amesbury, Holsworthy, Bude and Bulford lines, the new carriage shops and locomotive works at Eastleigh, Salisbury Station reconstruction, and several widenings. He was also closely associated with the Waterloo Station enlargement. He was a recognized authority on parliamentary procedure in reference to Private Bills, and his advice in promotion and opposition was much valued.
Mr. Shortt was elected an Associate Member of The Institution on the 1st May, 1877, and was transferred to the class of Members on the 28th March, 1893.